- Eating a ripe peach at its peak.
- Dig into a funnel cake or corn dog at a state fair or hometown street festival.
- Watermelon juice for a day at the beach: puree the fruit in a blender and don't forget the ice.
- Make homemade barbecue sauce for grilled chicken or ribs.
- Strawberry ice cream in a waffle cone is worth sticky fingers.
- Sharing a box of saltwater taffy on the boardwalk.
- Throw summery herbs like basil and cilantro into a dinner salad.
- BLTs with heirloom tomoatoes and smoky, thick-cut bacon.
- After picking blueberries and eating your fill, freeze the rest for pancakes.
- Corn on the cob with salt, pepper, and fresh lime.
- Cooking what you've bought at the farmer's market as soon as you get home.
- Making jam.
- Cracker Jacks and a foot-long hotdog at the ballpark.
- A special occasion calls for a double-crusted jumble-berry pie with raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries.
- Delicious potato salad: toss the spuds with dressing while they're still warm.
- Sipping the perfect iced coffee.
- Salads for dinner because it's too hot to cook.
- Best tomato sandwich: thick slices of juicy beefsteaks, mayonnaise, salt, and pepper, on lightly toasted bread.
- Any excuse for a pool party.
- Stir pesto into softened butter and add to grilled vegetables, corn, or steak.
- Nothing beats chips and salsa.
- A big jug of iced tea with fresh spearmint.
- Finding the perfect stick for roasting marshmallows.
- Sitting in the pool eating watermelon.
Saturday, June 19, 2010
Random Post: Ways of Summer
Some of us are still waiting for Summer to arrive in our state. I came across this list of fun things to do in the summertime. I have picked out my favorites, and hopefully whenever the sunshine decides to shine here I might just be able to enjoy one or two of these on this list: