Monday, August 29, 2011

Random Post: Things I have learned about blogging


When I started this blog in March 2009 I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I just got this idea to start a blog and have taken it one posting at a time. Although I feel like I have come a long ways, I feel like I have a ways to go.  When I first started posting, I would find a recipe I wanted to try, cook it, post the recipe, add the picture, and site the recipe if it wasn’t my own, and that was that. Now, I am completely redoing my site; adding a section about gardening and the outdoors, my crafty things, a new recipe search, and adding my own voice more.  A few things I have learned about blogging along the way.
Be yourself. Write like you are talking to your best friend. I am very quiet natured in person and usually not real wordy while blogging either, but I’m working on adding my own voice more.
I need to take a photography class. I am not a photographer by any means and really not too fond of taking pictures, to be honest. In my photos, the lighting doesn’t seem to be right to capture the yumminess of my food, the angle seems off, the photo comes out blurry, or I just completely forget to take a picture of the final dish and then I remember after the food has been devoured. Where is my mother-in-law when I need her to take the pictures?!
Blog Often.  When I first started, I would post up to 2-3 posts a day. As my life became more insane, the blogging slowed down and eventually was neglecting for months, specifically while I was planning my wedding and what seemed like I was spending every minute of my evenings making my wedding isle décor called kissing balls. Now I have recently been inspired, I understand how important it is to blog often.
Write about varied topics. Since this blog was created mainly to write about food, I do like to mix it up a little and throw in a quote, a kitchen tip, write about a restaurant I had just eaten at, or just whatever I feel like writing about. I just want to make it fun!
Re-read what I just typed. This can be a challenge for me since I know what I mean when I write, but do others understand what I mean when they read it? With the new design of my blog I am in the process of working on, I am embarrassed to see some mistakes I have in recipes: “Preheat the oven to 3275 degrees”. I didn’t know my oven went that high, or does she mean 325 degrees?, or wait, is that 375 degrees?!” There is a big difference there.
I don’t know what to write about aka writer’s block. Most of the time this is very true, but I still need to sit down and post something. As I mentioned previously, I neglected my blog while planning my wedding when I could have been posting things about the wedding planning process. I recently found some inspiration, so on I go with the blogging!
Value my readers. Although I don’t know who most of you are that read my blog, I appreciate your comments and taking the time to read my posts. You are appreciated more than I let you know.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment