Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Recipe: Boneless Short Ribs in Tomato Sauce

I’m not sure where my recent obsession came from for The Pioneer Woman-Ree Drummond, but she has been my inspiration lately. I have been on her Web site daily, and my mom is letting me borrow the book “From Black Heels to Tractor Wheels, A Love Story by Ree Drummond’, which I can’t put down. My son was given Ree Drummond’s children’s book, ‘Charlie the Ranch Dog’ for his 5th birthday and I adore the illustrations. I saw a brief video clip of Ree’s new cooking show and was wishing I actually had a TV so I could watch it, but then I probably wouldn’t get anything else done because I would be so hooked on watching The Food Network and favorite cooking shows, so therefore we don’t have a TV! I can’t wait to get a copy of her cookbook, ‘The Pioneer Woman’s Cookbook- Recipes from an Accidental Country Girl’ either.
One of the recipes I found from The Pioneer Women’s blog, that looks amazing, are the Short Ribs in Tomato Sauce. Of course I never seem to completely follow the recipe exactly, so instead of using short ribs with the bone-in like Ree did, I used boneless short ribs. Instead of using thyme like Ree did, I used Herbes de Provence, and instead of a can of whole tomatoes, well like Ree did, I used a can of diced tomatoes because that is what I had in my pantry and wanted to use up. Here is my own spin on the recipe.
Boneless Short Ribs in Tomato Sauce
5 boneless short ribs, cut in half crosswise
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup baby carrots, sliced
½ white onion, chopped
3 heads of garlic, minced
1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 cup red cooking wine
1 teaspoon Herbes de Provence
1 teaspoon red pepper
1 pound fettuccini
Finely shredded Italian cheese, for garnish
Fresh parsley, for garnish

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

In a pan with a drizzle of olive oil, turn on high heat.

Sprinkle short ribs with salt and pepper, to taste.

With tongs, place each short rib in the smoking hot pan and brown on each side for 1 minute.

Remove short ribs and place in an ovenproof dish.

Turn heat down to medium-high and add carrots to pan.

Sauté for 3 minutes stirring often, then add in onions and garlic and mix together till carrots and onions are soft, about 2 minutes.

Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, wine, Herbes de Provence, and red pepper to onions.

Mix well and let the sauce simmer for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add the tomato mix over ribs and cover tightly with tin foil.

Place in preheated oven for 1 ½ hours.

Bring a pot of water to boil, add the fettuccini, and boil till noodles are soft.

Place noodles on bottom of serving dish, then add tomato mix (not all of it, as you will have leftover sauce), and place short ribs on top, sprinkle ribs with cheese, and add some fresh parsley to the dish.

Serve immediately.

Makes 4 servings.

NOTE: You can use the leftover tomato sauce to make spaghetti!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment