Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Recipe: Blackberry Jam

On the property of our house are blackberries, lots of blackberries. When we moved in, the previous tenants warned us about them. At first I didn’t really notice them since it was the wrong season for them. Now since summer I can’t keep the blackberry bushes trimmed back fast enough. The majority of them are near our mailbox which I’m sure is inconvenient for our postal person delivering our mail. My son went out a few weekends ago and picked a big bowl full. We ate them raw. This last weekend my son and I both went out and picked 5 cups worth of blackberries. We had fun but it sure is pokey! I didn't want these delicious, fresh blackberries to go to waste so this batch of blackberries was made into jam! It is perfect for on top of toast, pancakes, or even on a dish of ice cream.
Our blackberry bushes

and more blackberry bushes


and MORE blackberries (that's my little helper, picking blackberries)

mmmm...fresh picked blackberries

Blackberry Jam

5 cups fresh blackberries
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

In a medium saucepan, combine the blackberries, sugar, lemon juice, and salt.

Mash with a potato masher or wooden spoon until the berries have released their juices.

Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the mixture has thickened, about 18-25 minutes.

Transfer to containers and refrigerate for up to 1 month or freeze for up to 1 year.

Makes 3 cups

Real Simple magazine July 2011 realsimple.com
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment