Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Organizing: Garage Sale: Pricing your Items, Part 2

If you missed, Organizing: Garage Sale, Cleaning Out the House, Part 1 you can read about it here.


As I am cleaning out the house I keep piles of like items together. I gather boxes and place all boy clothes in one box, all girl clothes in another box, all household items (vases, frames, dishes) in another box. My house does become a little cluttered with all the piles until the day of the garage sale. It does tend to be an organized disaster (with clutter all over the house). When I start out organized in the beginning it makes the pricing process way easier.

In the past I have used the colored circle stickers and put the price on them. I have found they don’t stick very well, especially to sets of clothes. This year I plan to use strips of masking tape on some items. It sticks, yet it is easier to remove from any item.
The pricing process can be a bit time consuming. Since I have piles and piles of kids clothes and don’t have the time to price every single individual shirt or pair of pants, I chose one price for each item of clothing, for example $.50 each, unless otherwise marked. I create one big sign (colorful and easy to see) that explains the item being sold and price per item and always add "unless otherwise marked". Any kids clothing item I don't want to sell for $0.50 each I will add a price to that specific item.

When pricing items, use your own judgement. How much would you pay for an item at a garage sale?

It is really important to label your items clearly. Whether signs are hung up that indicate the price or there are price stickers on the items, label clearly!
Up Next: Organizing: Garage Sale Supplies for the Day of the Sale, Part 3
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment